Between a whole lot of snow and some crummy personal stuff, it’s been a long week over here- and it’s only Wednesday!
As such, I’ve been feeling pretty tired and mopey so I’m going to try some forced gratitude. There’s a lot of research that suggests that expressing gratitude increases satisfaction and contentment. SO…here goes!
- My job offers a student loan repayment program– This is a great, although less common, perk. My employer, for any loans that went toward a college degree, offers a certain amount of money that you can apply for each year to pay down student loan debt. And it’s recurring! I can apply each year. This is a fantastic benefit, as it allows me to put an extra large payment on one of my loans each March. Plus, the degree doesn’t have to be related your current job (which is good, since my undergraduate degree is technically in French…)
- Our super-powered snowblower– We’ve had this snowblower for a good number of years (originally acquired when we lived in Minneapolis, where a snowblower was more a necessity than a luxury). However, it’s still going strong. B. does a lot of yearly maintenance to keep it in good working order and we expect to get many more years out of it. In fact, last year, the handle that turns the…blower part(?- I am not mechanically inclined) broke off when we moved. Fortunately, a local farm and garden store was able to repair it, and for much less than we would have paid for a new snowblower. In any case, it has come in very handy for this week’s snowstorms.
- Family visits! My sister and brother-in-law (and their adorable son) are in town for the week. I love getting to spend time with family and Baby W. is ridiculously cute and chunky and perfect. 🙂 They currently live about nine hours away, so it’s always nice to get to see them whenever they make it down here. I think we’re going to try and plan a trip to see them this summer.
- Our new house– One week until closing! We went and picked out some paint samples last weekend (a rare time when B. and I got to go out alone). So far, everything seems to be getting done in time for closing next Thursday- hopefully that trend continues. I’m starting to get excited!!
- A healthy family– I’m knocking on wood as I type this. The flu has been making the rounds through daycare as well as my office, but so far we’ve managed to avoid catching it. Besides feeling miserable, illness is always a big hit to our frugality efforts, as neither of us can muster up the energy to perform the money-saving tasks we normally would (like cooking dinner).
What things are making you happy this week?