I haven’t done one of these in awhile- today is all about moving!
Five Frugal Things
- We moved on a weekday– B. and I are incredibly lucky to both work for companies with very generous PTO benefits, so taking a day off work to move was not a big deal for either of us. Our moving company charged us 10% less per hour to move on a weekday versus a weekend. As a plus, we had a whole weekend to finish packing!
- I price-shopped moving supplies– I shopped around and found that Home Depot had the cheapest moving supplies around, by about $1 a box (ever since I found out that bed bugs can live in cardboard boxes, I can’t do used ones. I just can’t). I hate spending money on moving supplies, but I know that I got the best deal.
- We cleaned out our rental ourselves– given the stress of moving, it was very tempting to hire this chore out. It was a long week of cleaning, but we got it done and saved ourselves the cost of hiring someone to clean it
- We re-purposed existing items in our new house – we have a rather large assortment of containers and these ended up being quite handy as we tried to figure out where to put things in our new house. Rather than buying still more organizational solutions, we’ve been trying to re-purpose existing items as much as possible.
- We re-purposed our moving boxes– more on this in a few days (once the SNOW ON THE GROUND clears up). Suffice it to say, our moving boxes are getting re-purposed for our garden this year.
Where we chose to spend money on moving
- MOVERS– this was quite easily the best decision we made in moving. B. and I have moved, for various reasons, four times in the last three years. There was no chance that we were going to load all our stuff into yet another U-Haul and do this ourselves.
This turned out to be a very good decision, as B. (the primary “lifter of the heavy things”) injured his neck two days before we were supposed to move. Also, we tipped our movers pretty generously- mother nature was incredibly helpful on our moving day and provided a
raging snow/rain downpour in frigid temperaturesgentle rainstorm in pleasantly cool temperatures. Our poor movers.
- New boxes– again, raging fear of bed bugs. The moving boxes cost less than exterminators.
One big frugal moving fail
We accidentally packed the coffee maker two days before we were due to move. This was not a smart move for two serious coffee addicts. The question was never “should we buy coffee” but more “where should we buy coffee this morning/afternoon/9:00 pm? This wasn’t a huge expense, to be sure, but it could have been avoided if we’d been a little more thoughtful about packing strategy…
So there you have it! Our mostly frugalized move. What frugal moving tips do you all have to share?