It’s Frugal Friday! Time to catalog my frugal wins and fails this week.
1. I made dinner every night this week– Go me! This is harder than it seems, since we get home at 5:00 and F. is a hot mess if dinner isn’t ready by 5:30. So I’m happy that I managed to make dinner every night this week.
2. I used up meat in my freezer– I have this bad habit of buying pork when it’s on sale and then afterwards remembering that I don’t actually have very many recipes for pork. So then it sits in my freezer for a LONG time. But this week, I made some very yummy pork kebabs so some of it is no longer in my freezer.
3. I bought clearance exercise gear- Now that I’ve started going to the gym every day, I don’t actually have enough sports bras and exercise shirts for a whole week. I’ve been trying to get by with doing laundry halfway through the week, but it’s been a challenge to remember. So I bought a new sports bra and new shirt, both of which were on clearance for $3 each. They are not the nicest gear ever, but they are definitely good enough to get covered in sweat!
1. Food waste– I have had so much wasted food this week. The produce from Walmart that I mentioned earlier in the week all went bad, a loaf of bread that I was planning on for dinner tonight molded, my grill caught on fire earlier in the week and took half of my grilled chicken with it and then I packed up dinner leftovers last night before taking F. to gymnastics and they were still sitting out on the counter, spoiling, once I got home. Not a good week, my friends. Not a good week.
I’m sure there are more things, but I’m tired and I think that’s going to do it for me. How’d you all do this week?
It’s frugal Friday here on the blog. Come check out my frugal wins and frugal fails!
It’s frugal Friday here on the blog! I’m going to reflect on my week of spending- what were some frugal successes? What were some fails? You get to hear about it all!
- I used up ALL of the leftovers in my fridge this week. Throwing out food costs money so using up leftovers is a frugal win in my book!
- I tried to make black bean burgers for lunch this week, but added WAY too many bread crumbs, resulting in black bean um…crumbles. BUT. I mixed them up with a bunch of sweet chili sauce and ate them anyway. Yum yum yum. Just kidding. It wasn’t but I’ll be damned if I’m going to throw out perfectly good food.
- I made coffee at home every week and took it to work, despite the very lovely temptation of Starbucks AT work.
- One of F’s beloved tutus got a big hole in it. I am the absolute worst seamstress (B. fixes almost everything that needs sewing around our house. He possesses so many more domestic talents than I do!) I pulled out my needle and thread and managed to do a passable job sewing it up. It doesn’t look pretty, but it also doesn’t have a big hole in it anymore!
- I’ve been in need of new shorts, as none of the ones I had fit after giving birth (I know, I am super on the ball about this…) but I just. hate. shopping. So I bought some new to me shorts of ThredUp instead (which you should totally check out if you haven’t tried it). I can try them on in my own home and hopefully they fit. I consider this a frugal win because buying consignment is far cheaper than buying new.
- I was feeling totally lazy on Tuesday and forgot to defrost the meat needed for dinner so Fiona and I went to a very popular red and yellow fast food restaurant for some not-that-tasty chicken nuggets.
- I forgot about an early doctor’s appointment Fiona had on Wednesday morning until…um…Wednesday morning. I forgot to eat breakfast or pack breakfast before we left, so I ended up grabbing something at work.
- I gave in and splurged on coffee Thursday afternoon. Ever since the free coffee went away at work, this has become much harder to avoid. It’s not that I need coffee. I just….need coffee. Or a better solution to the afternoon sleepies.
So that’s my week! How did you guys do?